Types of Question Words
There are ‘To Be’ type questions (also called conditional type questions) that only uses the question particle ‘mi/mu’ and the question words that are used with action verbs. Let’s see the list of all the question words available in Turkish.
|Question Word||English Meaning|
|Neden / Niye / Niçin||Why|
|Kimin||Whose (is it)|
|Ne Kadar||How much / How many|
|Ne Sıklıkla||How often|
|Kaç tane||How many|
Word Order for Question Words
When making question sentences in Turkish with action verbs, most of the sentences start with an Object, then the question words and finally the action verb conjugated into the appropriate tense and personal suffix.
- Bugün akşam yemeği için ne yapıyorsun? (What are you doing for dinner today?)
- Baban işten ne zaman geldi? (When did your father came from work?)
- Arkadaşım Ahmet’in arabasını kim kullanıyor? (Who is using my friend Ahmet’s car?)
- Pazardan ne kadar elma aldın? (How many apples did you buy from the bazaar?)
- Araba kaç tane top var? (How many balls are in the car?)
- Ne sıklıkla basketbol oynarsın? (How often do you play basketball?)