Turkish Question Words
Turkish Wh- Questions
Today’s lesson focuses on a more basic but still important part of the Turkish language, questions words. We have already seen how question sentences are formed in Turkish. There are ‘To Be’ type questions (also called conditional type questions) that only use the question particle ‘mi/mu’ and the question words that are used with action verbs. Let’s see the list of all the question words available in Turkish.
|Neden / Niye|
|Kimin||Whose (is it)|
|Ne Kadar||How much / |
|Ne Sıklıkla||How often|
|Kaç tane||How many|
When making question sentences in Turkish with action verbs, most of the sentences start with an Object, then the question words and finally the action verb conjugated into the appropriate tense and personal suffix.
- Bugün akşam yemeği için ne yapıyorsun?
- What are you doing for dinner today?
- Baban işten ne zaman geldi?
- When did your father came from work?
- Arkadaşım Ahmet’in arabasını kim kullanıyor?
- Who is using my friend Ahmet’s car?
- Pazardan ne kadar elma aldın?
- How many apples did you buy from the bazaar?
- Arabada kaç tane top var?
- How many balls are in the car?
- Ne sıklıkla basketbol oynarsın?
- How often do you play basketball?
Turkish Tag Questions
Sentences with tag questions are also frequently used in conversational Turkish. You simply add ‘değil mi?’ to the end of the sentence regardless of the personal pronoun, the tense, and whether it’s a positive or a negative sentence.
- Yarın ablam geliyor, değil mi?
- Tomorrow, my sister is coming, isn’t she?
- Ödevini yapmadın, değil mi?
- You didn’t do your homework, didn’t you?
- Evde dondurma var, değil mi?
- There is ice-cream at home, isn’t there?
You’ve come to the end of this lesson!
I hope you liked this free Turkish grammar lesson. This lesson belongs to the free video course named Speaking Turkish in 30 Days. Be sure to watch the other lesson too!
Did you know that our premium Turkish course Introduction to Turkish has an even better explanation of the Turkish Wh- Question Words? If you’re a premium member, we have grammar exercises to further improve your understanding of Turkish!
So what’s the difference between BASIC and PREMIUM memberships?
Our Premium memberships are AFFORDABLE and you get so much for so little money! If you want to learn more about Premium at Turkishaholic or upgrade your account, click the buttons below: